Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UFC rules a JOKE????  (Read 4060 times)

Noel

• Brown Belt
  • Gina Carano is hot!!!!
    • Email
UFC rules a JOKE????
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:17:02 AM »
natesnathan3 
It's now modified kickboxing. Pride had a 10 min round followed by 5. UFC also has ref standups left and right which gives the better standup and athletic fighter the advantage. If they are stalling standing on their feet do you see them start them on the ground? Hell no! This is the reason Jackson got his ass handed to him in Pride. The term MIxed martial arts didn't mean that you had to know both styles. It meant that you could use any style you wanted to win... BJJ dominated so rules were implemeted to stifle the effectiveness. ref standups, 5 min rounds, judges that think the top guy is in the dominant position, refs warning that he is going to stand if a jiu jitsu guy is doesn't "show something." This makes a better ground guy be forced to try and stand...he then gets knocked out and people think ther is an "Evolution in MMA" when in fact MMA is a devolution! MMA is now a joke, and I guarantee that if you even took Anderson Silva put him in Japan he would lose just like he did before he came to the place that cators to his style. OH YEAH and take away all the BS rules and BJJ is still the most effective martial art in the world BAR NONE!!! just look at the knockout to sub ratio between the the same fighters in Pride to UFC...whateveeerrr!!! Oh yeah... **ck the NSAC too their beloved boxing has returned!!!

i just saw this on sherdog do you agree??????

krav dood

• krav maga student
  • Black Belt
  • Gina Carano & MMA Fan
Re: UFC rules a JOKE????
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »
I disagree.  The successful fighters are the ones who dictate their style during the match be it on the ground or standing up.  I have no problem with fighters being stood up if there is no action on the ground.  No one wants to watch 2 people roll around on the mat for most of the fight.  If a guy gets a takedown and his sub attempt(s) fail then why stay on the ground for the rest of the fight?  MMA is supposed to be about ACTION which is why it is more appealing than boxing these days.  Everyone is tired of watching 2 guys dance around for an hour.  I agree BJJ is very effective but to say it isnt fair to be stood up is ridiculous, that is why you cross-train!  If people want to whine about the rules not being fair to BJJ fighters then let them form their own league and people can go watch 2 guys roll around on the mat for 3 rounds or less.  BORING.

Phoenix

• Angelique
  • Global Mod Red Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Dynamite comes in small packages. ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:11:38 AM »
I disagree.  The successful fighters are the ones who dictate their style during the match be it on the ground or standing up.  I have no problem with fighters being stood up if there is no action on the ground.  No one wants to watch 2 people roll around on the mat for most of the fight.  If a guy gets a takedown and his sub attempt(s) fail then why stay on the ground for the rest of the fight?  MMA is supposed to be about ACTION which is why it is more appealing than boxing these days.  Everyone is tired of watching 2 guys dance around for an hour.  I agree BJJ is very effective but to say it isnt fair to be stood up is ridiculous, that is why you cross-train!  If people want to whine about the rules not being fair to BJJ fighters then let them form their own league and people can go watch 2 guys roll around on the mat for 3 rounds or less.  BORING.

I agree with you on this issue...

mkygod

• Global Mod Red Belt
  • Brown Belt
  • Gina Carano Fan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
I think the original argument is retarded, just like half of everything that is posted on Sherdog.net forums.

Fighter's SHOULD be stood up if there is no action or improvement of position. This is MMA, which is a sport, not some no-holds barred, no time-limit Vale-Tudo match. For MMA to succeed as a mainstream sport, it has to adhere to a standard set of rules and it must not be unreasonably boring to watch for the spectator.

BJJ guys will either be forced adapt to the rules or stick to grappling tournaments as Krav said. It's a good way to weed out the active BJJ fighters from the ones that just hang-on.  Because of these rules, we now have exciting grapplers in the UFC such as BJ Penn, Damien Maia, Frank Mir, and Dustin Hazlett.

krav dood

• krav maga student
  • Black Belt
  • Gina Carano & MMA Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
I think the original argument is retarded, just like half of everything that is posted on Sherdog.net forums.

Fighter's SHOULD be stood up if there is no action or improvement of position. This is MMA, which is a sport, not some no-holds barred, no time-limit Vale-Tudo match. For MMA to succeed as a mainstream sport, it has to adhere to a standard set of rules and it must not be unreasonably boring to watch for the spectator.

BJJ guys will either be forced adapt to the rules or stick to grappling tournaments as Krav said. It's a good way to weed out the active BJJ fighters from the ones that just hang-on.  Because of these rules, we now have exciting grapplers in the UFC such as BJ Penn, Damien Maia, Frank Mir, and Dustin Hazlett.

I love K-1 because there is no clinching allowed and if the fighters do so, point deduction!   That is my biggest gripe with pro boxing is the clinching.

I havent been to the Sherdog forums but based on that post I bet I'd be LOLing quite a bit.

Dante2230

• The True Gina Carano Fan
  • Black Belt
  • Fantastic 4 - Honor Guard
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
I agree with fighters having to be stood up, because there are times where i just walk away from watching the fight to go get something to drink because i get bored watching two guys lay on top of each other. The sport is called Mixed Martial Arts so fighters should train more than one style....They don't have to be like dedicated to the other style, but just get al little experience. BJJ fighters can't rely on their ground game the whole match, because if they go aganist someone who's style is boxing or wrestling, it won't do much....Those are my opinions.

p0d135

• Black Belt
  • ^ that read: "http://www.gina-carano.org"
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »
Its all about the spread of proper education on what constitutes a standup/break. Japan IMO, still has the closest model. In the U.S you seemingly DON'T get penalized for stalling, just resets and maybe no credit for the takedown based on which judges are there.

The state of MMA hasn't really evolved much in terms of the educating officials and judges since the infamous standup reset of Genki Sudo/Duane Ludwig. Which saw the grounded fighters bout halted for a cut check then stood up upon restarting. Now we see the recent kimura attempting Roy Nelson on Andre Arlovski getting stood up for inactivity.

What is stopping the commissions from getting the proper knowledge? $ and effort powered by altruism naturally comes to mind. For now I'm surprised no fan thread has at least been attempted to mimic HBO/ShowTime Boxing's judge analysis on sketcy, large disparity based past decisions, too lazy like myself I guess.

krav dood

• krav maga student
  • Black Belt
  • Gina Carano & MMA Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »
I agree with fighters having to be stood up, because there are times where i just walk away from watching the fight to go get something to drink because i get bored watching two guys lay on top of each other. The sport is called Mixed Martial Arts so fighters should train more than one style....They don't have to be like dedicated to the other style, but just get al little experience. BJJ fighters can't rely on their ground game the whole match, because if they go aganist someone who's style is boxing or wrestling, it won't do much....Those are my opinions.

1 example: the last Silva fight.   Ugh.

Dante2230

• The True Gina Carano Fan
  • Black Belt
  • Fantastic 4 - Honor Guard
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:37:24 AM »
Silva just kept prancing around the ring it made me just get up and walk somewhere else.

N.K

• Orange Belt
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
refs also break up fighters if they clinch for too long and dont show any offence...

powerbomb91

• Tap or snap
  • Black Belt
  • Gina's drummer....
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »
i think the rules are fine
tap or snap..............I rather hate your for everything you are!...then ever love you for something you are not. i rather you hate me for everything i am .then ever love me for something i am not!.........NEVER GIVE UP AND YOU;LL NEVER FAIL............long signature .

p0d135

• Black Belt
  • ^ that read: "http://www.gina-carano.org"
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
^ ehh, no knees on the ground is b.s!

speaking of wacky rules, I just saw an M-1 match where the fight was stopped for cut check while in a RNC attempt then RESTARTED in the choke position! ohh, M-1.

powerbomb91

• Tap or snap
  • Black Belt
  • Gina's drummer....
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
poor guy..................yeah that knee thing is true
tap or snap..............I rather hate your for everything you are!...then ever love you for something you are not. i rather you hate me for everything i am .then ever love me for something i am not!.........NEVER GIVE UP AND YOU;LL NEVER FAIL............long signature .

snowey james

• Yellow Belt
  • Gina Carano Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
yeah you want a mix of stand up and grappling its very difficult for a striker too hit with the same presition in the ring or in a fight than it is when they are just training because some peoples build or style can cause you a problem ,once a grappler has got into his range the advantage is with them so cross training is ideal ,but the rules will more or less always work to one persons advatage ,thats why alot of fighters or managers wont take awkward fights early on because theres money too be made fist you dont want too many long wars,too early .
Pages: [1]   Go Up