Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's difficult to be a respected Champ when you're Jon "Bones" Jones  (Read 2761 times)

Rich Davie

• Yellow Belt
  • Gina Carano Fan
    • Email

First off... I'm a fan of Jon "Bones" Jones and I'm not in the camp of those who are "butthurt" because fans don't like Jon "Bones" Jones, I'm perplexed at the never ending stream of creative and invalid excuses to dislike him.

The writing is and has been on the wall for quite awhile now... and with the progression of his career and challenges put before him, there's always a new set of reasons to dislike him even though he meets and exceeds those challenges in a highly professional and respectful manner.

First it was "who has Jones fought ?"

Then it was Vera is gonna be more than he can handle.

Then it was Matyushenko is gonna give him the best challenge to date.

Then many claimed that Bader was right on par with Jones and would give him a challenge.

Then he went up against what many MMA fans were and are calling the G.O.A.T. of the LHWs in Shogun Rua and Jones totally destroyed him, but that win was dismissed because Rua wasn't 100% healthy, coming off of a long layoff, and he had ring rust.

Then it was well... he's not a champ yet because he hasn't defended his title.

Now that he very easily defended his title against Rampage with a 4th round RNC submission, there appears to be more reasons than ever to dislike the guy... now added to the list of reasons are his "tactics" or "antics" in his last fight.

He's not cocky, he's confident... in his fight against Rampage he showed Rampage a lesson from virtually every page in his book of game plans, including the bizarre crab-walk in the opening round of the fight... and when questioned about the maneuver in the post fight interview by Rogan, Jones explained his reason for that maneuver.

He's certainly not tactless... that title is owned by Lesnar.

He's never disrespected an opponent in the octagon in the manner that Anderson Silva has.

He's not cocky or disrespectful... that's the definition of fighters like Lesnar, Bisping, Mayhem Miller, Rashad Evans, Chael Sonnen and most U.K. fighters.

So all of the reasons for the Jones hate are invalid in my opinion, and no matter what Jones does in regard to exceeding the challenges put before him in a highly professional and respectful manner, it's obvious that those who choose to dislike him are using nothing more than excuses to validate their position... because now that he's not only destroyed Shogun Rua and defended his title against Rampage, the current prevailing argument in the minds of those who seek reasons to validate their dislike of Jones is... that in order for Jones to validate himself there is a list of fighters that he "has to beat" before he receives his just due.

Even if and when that occurs, that's not gonna happen at that point either because as I said above... in the minds of Jones' detractors there will be another set of excuses and reasons that he doesn't deserve respect.

Like him or not, it's just as Joe Rogan stated; "Jon "Bones" Jones is perhaps the greatest talent MMA has ever seen."

...and like my buddy James Ryan says :

If you don't like my opinion, I have others... (that you probably won't agree with either).

Rich Davie
MMA Crypt Admin
www.mmacrypt.com

Source :

http://mmacrypt.com/forum/showthread.php?21542-It-s-difficult-to-be-a-respected-Champ-when-you-re-Jon-quot-Bones-quot-Jones
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:39:33 AM by Rich Davie »

Jen

• Ya Majeste
  • Administrator
  • Black Belt
Re: It's difficult to be a respected Champ when you're Jon "Bones" Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
He has the longest reach in UFC history which makes it very hard to punch him in the face.

His greco roman wrestling kicks in gear when you try to charge him and his takedowns is near the level of GSP.

Rashad Evans I don't think has much of a chance to win again Jones.  He won't be able to take Jones down to point or time them out like he did his last 2 opponents.  His stamina weakens by the 3rd round and by then his takedown attempts will be futile.

A good super fight would be Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones which might be the only person that could beat him. 

p0d135

• Black Belt
  • ^ that read: "http://www.gina-carano.org"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:02:40 AM »
yeah unfortuntately, it's VERY easy to get H8 from fans in mma. I give him props on what he's done but:

-Like or not, YES, Shogun wasn't himself in that fight. He was in the same state vs Forrest the 1st time.
-On twitter, Bones did thank Jesus for the win BEFORE the fight!
-I don't think Evans was completely fabricating when he said Jones took him aside seemingly apologetic ruse to simply remind him he was going to beat him.
-IIRC, Jones pulled out of the fight w/ a claim for a broken hand which was found to not be broken. (pls correct if not true)
-once said his brother would be mma champion essentially with minimal training.
-Rogan is prone to hyperbole ("Welcome to the Machida era.")
-Ppl thought the same of Brock Lesnar's seemingly insurmountable physicality. Truth is we've never seen him hurt or taken deep.

Evans is already in his head and not in the traditional way of trash-talking either. Yes, his cardio isn't up to par with his high level of wrestling, speed and movement but also who knows about Jones. Like Rashad,-the last time he went long was long ago - Bones vs Bonnar and he was the one doing the pushing.

Jen

• Ya Majeste
  • Administrator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Well Jones will be fighting Machida instead of Evans. 

I wonder if Evans will once again be in the  center of the ring after the Jones fight.

Jen

• Ya Majeste
  • Administrator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Jones may have a chin made of glass for all we know since I never seen him take a solid punch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up